The historic house is now reopened to the public with refurbished galleries and a renewed permanent exhibition about the house and its former owners, Dr. Abraham and Anna Ticho, as well as with new spaces for temporary exhibitions.
Sun, Mon, Tues, Thurs 10 am – 5 pm
Wed 10 am – 10 pm
Fri and Holiday Eves 10 am – 2 pm
New entrance from 10 Ha Rav Agan Street
See map »
Situated in the Jerusalem city center, the serene Ticho House is a perfect place to experience the atmosphere of old Jerusalem while taking in the art of Israel's beloved painter, Anna Ticho (1894 -1980) and of contemporary art exhibitions.
Ticho House, one of the most-beloved cultural centers in Jerusalem, reopened after a year of conservation work and renovations. The ground floor rooms, which had previously served as a restaurant, are now converted to galleries. They combine the splendor of rooms built 150 years ago with modern museum infrastructure.
The upper floor, soon to include a new restaurant, now reveals the beautiful ceiling decorations which underwent conservation during the course of the work.
Its well-known schedule of temporary exhibitions has resumed. The exhibition galleries will be closed while the exhibitions are changed, until the beginning of June.
Upcoming exhibition: Zoom 2016: Young Israeli Artists opening June 2, 2016.
See exhibitions >>
History of the Ticho House
Ticho House was one of the first houses in Jerusalem built outside the Old City Walls. It was built in the second half of the nineteenth century by an Arab dignitary. Among its first occupants was the family of the notorious antiquities forger, Shapira. (The house is described in the memoirs of his daughter Myriam Harry, La Petite Fille de Jerusalem).
Dr. Abraham Albert Ticho and his cousin Anna were born at the end of the nineteenth century in Moravia, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Dr. Ticho completed his medical studies in Vienna, where he specialized in ophthalmology at the Rudolph Hospital. Anna began studying art at the age of fifteen, also in Vienna. In 1912, Dr. Ticho was sent by the Frankfurt-based organization, Lema'an Tzion, to open an eye clinic in Jerusalem. Anna soon followed and the two were married during the same year.
The impact of the Jerusalem landscape, with its barren hills and strong light, was such that for a number of years Anna Ticho could not paint. She began drawing again while in Damascus, where her husband was stationed during World War I.
The Tichos bought the house in 1924. They converted the lower story into an eye clinic which served the population of Jerusalem - rich and poor alike - until Dr. Ticho's death in 1960.
Anna served as his assistant and at the same time began going out into the landscape and drawing the hills, views, and figures of Jerusalem. Although she used different media over the years, these remained her chief subjects.
Throughout their long lives, the Tichos were active in Jerusalem's social and cultural life. After her husband's death, Anna continued to live and work in the same house until her own death in 1980. Her work was widely acclaimed and her drawings are included in museums in Israel and abroad. She was also the recipient of many honorary titles and awards, including the Israel Prize which she received in 1980.
As a token of her love for Jerusalem, Anna Ticho bequeathed the house, all of its collections, and its library to the people of the city, to serve as a public center for art under the auspices of the Israel Museum.
Ticho House Curator