The Library of Art and Archaeology
The Library of the Israel Museum was established in 1965 in order to serve museum staff and members, as well as researchers and students from the entire country.
Tel: 972-2-6708084, 6708886
The library is currently closed to the public due to the comprehensive program of renewal at the Israel Museum.
The Israel Museum Library is the main art library in Israel, and offers a comprehensive selection of publications on archaeology.
The Library also offers a collection of up-to-date literature on subjects related to the Museum exhibits. These include: Judaica, Ethnology, and Cultural Studies ranging from the Far East to the Americas, as well as other art related subjects.
The Library currently:
- Houses over 130,000 publications
- Subscribes to 150 current periodicals (international and local)
- Maintains a current collection of catalogues from museums worldwide
- Holds an extensive collection of major Auction House Sales Catalogues
All Library material can be studied in the reading room but may not be borrowed.
Photocopying services are offered during library opening hours.
Catalogues and CD-ROM Online Databases
Israel Museum Library Catalogue is available online. For the catalogue,
Note: The library collection is not yet entirely computerized.
The collection includes:
- Wilsondisc (Art Index and Abstracts) from 1984 to the present. Offers information on some 500 international publications.
- Art Sales Index - from 1990 until 2001.
- Art Price - comprehensive database from 2001.