The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
Collections
Fine Arts   Ticho House  
Ticho House
print   send to friend

Situated in the Jerusalem city center, Ticho House is filled with the atmosphere of old Jerusalem, the art of Israel's beloved painter Anna Ticho (1894 -1980), and chamber music performed by immigrant and other artists, who appear here in concert every Friday morning. Add a light meal in the serene garden restaurant of the Ticho House,  and you have a total experience "away from it all" right in the center of town. (You won't want to leave without picking up a copy of the beautifully illustrated Ticho House, A Jerusalem Landmark.) Check out the Programs calendar for chamber concerts, lectures, performance, art and other special events at the Ticho House. Entrance free.

Ticho House Hours

Sun, Mon, Wed, Thurs 10 am – 5 pm
Tues 10 am – 10 pm
Fri 10 am – 2 pm
No entrance to the upper level gallery between 10:30-12:15 on Fridays
Closed Saturdays

 

Ticho House was one of the first houses in Jerusalem built outside the Old City Walls. It was built in the second half of the nineteenth century by an Arab dignitary. Among its first occupants was the family of the notorious antiquities forger, Shapira. (The house is described in the memoirs of his daughter Myriam Harry, La petite fille de Jerusalem.)

Dr. Albert Albert Ticho and his cousin Anna were born at the end of the last century in Moravia, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Dr. Ticho completed his medical studies in Vienna, where he specialized in ophthalmology at the Rudolph Hospital. Anna began studying art at the age of fifteen, also in Vienna. In 1912, Dr. Ticho was sent by the Frankfurt based organization Lema'an Tzion to open an eye clinic in Jerusalem. Anna followed him and the two were married during the same year.

The impact of the Jerusalem landscape, with its barren hills, and strong light, was such that for a number of years Anna Ticho could not paint. She began drawing again while in Damascus, where her husband was stationed during World War I.

The Tichos bought the house in 1924. They converted the lower storey into an eye clinic which served the population of Jerusalem - rich and poor alike - until Dr. Ticho's death in 1960.

Anna served as his assistant and at the same time began going out into the landscape and drawing the hills, views and figures of Jerusalem. Although she used different media over the years, these remained the chief subjects of her work.

Throughout their long lives, the Tichos were active in Jerusalem's social and cultural life. After her husband's death, Anna continued to live and work in the same house until her own death in 1980. Her work was widely acclaimed and her drawings are to be found in many museums in Israel and abroad. She was also the recipient of many honorary titles and awards, the last being the Israel Prize which she received in 1980.

 

As a token of her love for Jerusalem, Anna Ticho bequeathed the house, all of its collections, and its library to the people of the city, to serve as a public centre for art under the auspices of the Israel Museum.

Timna Seligman
Curator of Ticho House 
Tel. 670-8913
e-mail [email protected] 

 

The House contains:

  • Temporary exhibitions
  • An exhibition of works by Anna Ticho
  • Hanukkah lamps collected by Dr. Avraham Ticho
  • A reference library of books about Jerusalem, art and literature

Ticho House Hours

Sun, Mon, Wed, Thurs 10 am – 5 pm
Tues 10 am – 10 pm
Fri 10 am – 2 pm
No entrance to the upper level gallery between 10:30-12:15 on Fridays
Closed Saturdays

Little Jerusalem Restaurant

The “Little Jerusalem” restaurant on the premises serves dairy meals.
Sun - Thurs 10 am-11 pm
Fri 10:30 am-2 pm

Address and Phone

9 Harav Kook Street (near Zion Square)
Jerusalem
Tel. +972-2-6245068
        +972-2-6244186 (Restaurant)

 


 בניית אתריםבניית אתרים