The Ticho House will be temporarily closed for a Renovation Project starting August 31. Reopening Spring 2015.
Situated in the Jerusalem city center, the serene Ticho House is a perfect place to experience the atmosphere of old Jerusalem while taking in the art of Israel's beloved painter, Anna Ticho (1894 -1980).
After completing 30 years as the Israel Museum’s satellite venue in the city center and hosting a full program of exhibitions, concerts, lectures, and running its popular restaurant, the Ticho House has reached the point of updating its special stone house. Its gates will re-open in the spring of 2015 with a new permanent exhibition telling the story of the house and its former inhabitants, the ophthalmologist Dr. Avraham Ticho and the artist Anna Ticho, his wife. Its well-known schedule of temporary exhibitions will be resumed. The restaurant will also reopen and the site will be made accessible to all visitors.
History of the Ticho House
Ticho House was one of the first houses in Jerusalem built outside the Old City Walls. It was built in the second half of the nineteenth century by an Arab dignitary. Among its first occupants was the family of the notorious antiquities forger, Shapira. (The house is described in the memoirs of his daughter Myriam Harry, La Petite Fille de Jerusalem).
Dr. Albert Ticho and his cousin Anna were born at the end of the last century in Moravia, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Dr. Ticho completed his medical studies in Vienna, where he specialized in ophthalmology at the Rudolph Hospital. Anna began studying art at the age of fifteen, also in Vienna. In 1912, Dr. Ticho was sent by the Frankfurt-based organization, Lema'an Tzion, to open an eye clinic in Jerusalem. Anna followed him and the two were married during the same year.
The impact of the Jerusalem landscape, with its barren hills and strong light, was such that for a number of years Anna Ticho could not paint. She began drawing again while in Damascus, where her husband was stationed during World War I.
The Tichos bought the house in 1924. They converted the lower storey into an eye clinic which served the population of Jerusalem - rich and poor alike - until Dr. Ticho's death in 1960.
Anna served as his assistant and at the same time began going out into the landscape and drawing the hills, views and figures of Jerusalem. Although she used different media over the years, these remained the chief subjects of her work.
Throughout their long lives, the Tichos were active in Jerusalem's social and cultural life. After her husband's death, Anna continued to live and work in the same house until her own death in 1980. Her work was widely acclaimed and her drawings are to be found in many museums in Israel and abroad. She was also the recipient of many honorary titles and awards, the last being the Israel Prize which she received in 1980.
As a token of her love for Jerusalem, Anna Ticho bequeathed the house, all of its collections, and its library to the people of the city, to serve as a public center for art under the auspices of the Israel Museum.
Curator of Ticho House